is pleased to announce a 2 Day workshop . . .
Engaging Inexpressive Partners in
Ting Liu, Ph.D., LMFT, Certified EFT Trainer
April 28 -29, 2017
Overview of Training
One of the most common challenges for the Emotionally Focused Therapist is to engage the silent, withdrawn, and/or reluctant partner who expresses few feelings, thoughts, interests, and wishes in couple therapy. Many couples therapists struggle to find effective interventions that can engage the inexpressive partner while validating the pursuing partner and maintaining a secure alliance with both.
To further expand both the cultural sensitivity and applicability of EFT, with a specific focus on engaging the inexpressive and reluctant partners, Ting will discuss the cultural construction of emotions and emotional expression from both intrapsychic and interactional perspectives. Therapeutic interventions to engage and empower the inexpressive partner will be introduced. Clinical strategies to establish secure therapeutic alliances with both partners will be discussed. Video examples of EFT with inexpressive partners will be incorporated.
1. Understand and experience the impact of power, gender and culture on emotional expression.
2. Understand the theoretical underpinnings and process of change in EFT.
3. Understand and describe basic attachment theory and how it informs gender and culturally sensitive work with couples in EFT.
4. Understand and practice how to track the sequences of interaction that perpetuate couples’ distress – validating the inexpressive partner’s silence as part of the cycle.
5. Understand and practice interventions to engage the inexpressive and reluctant partner while empathizing with the pursuing partner and maintaining a secure alliance with both.
· Understanding silence and reluctance in couples therapy: An attachment perspective
The cultural construction of emotions, emotional expressions, and appraisals.
· Clinical strategies for working with inexpressive and reluctant clients in Stage 1 of EFT: Setting goals, engaging both partners, identifying cycles
· Clinical strategies for working with inexpressive and reluctant clients in Stage 2 of EFT: Using emotions as change mechanisms; the power of enactment
· Video demonstration
· Role-play practice
When: April 28 - 29, 2017
Time: Friday 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Saturday 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Where: Lafayette Hill, PA
CEUs: 12 CEU credits available
Fee*: $350 for Two Day Workshop (Early Bird special $299 by 3/31/17)
* 10% discount for PCEFT members
*Student Rate: $200
SEATING is LIMITED!